Friday, July 6, 2012

Adventures In Sleeping


Day 6

So, the day was uneventful, but the night more than made up for it, and not in a good way.

The camper has a big bed above the driver and passenger seats of the camper.  It’s quite handy.  It even has curtains that you can close.  So, we stick the kids up there, and close the curtains at bed time, and Josh and I hang out for an hour, and then go to bed.  The table and couch turn into beds, and are located behind the driver and passenger seats of the camper, making them below, but not under the kids’ bed.

Some time in the wee hours of the night someone- and we literally do not know who, leaned over the side of the bed and threw up.  The most disturbing thing about this was nobody woke up!  I am not quite sure what dragged me from sleep, but I found myself coming to and standing by my bed, wondering why I smelled throw up.  I have tried and tried and tried to figure out what woke me, and I can’t think of anything.  So, I have concluded that it must have been the smell, for everyone else was sound asleep.  I woke Josh up with my shuffling around.  Then I turned on the light (remember, the camper is PITCH BLACK at night) and saw the fullness of the situation.  I am so amazed that I did not have it on my head.  It was a MIRICALE!  Josh escaped with nothing on him, as well.  We went back and forth over which one of the kids it could have been.  Eldest A is known for his weak stomach, but he has never done it quietly and on his own, it is always preceded by moaning and calling for mommy.  Eldest girl A is known for doing weird stuff in her sleep, obviously, so it could have been her, but she never throws up.  For all we know it was the little dude.  But, we will never know because none of the kids remember a thing about it.

After having Josh check my hair (I was sure I had it on me, and just didn’t realize it), gathered up all the bedding and clothes that got splattered, and wiped up everything else with almost a whole package of baby wipes, I crawled back into bed.  Sometime later, I am not sure how long, eldest A came tumbling out of bed.  Josh says he woke up to him panting or breathing heavy or weirdly, and then saw him almost leap out of bed.  He did not hit head first, but kind of bounced off of one bed onto another, finally coming to rest on the floor.  After much screaming, calming and soothing, he went back to bed.  Some time later Josh got hit in the head with an Insect Field Guide, which the eldest girl A some how kicked of the bed in her sleep.

What a night!  When I finally pulled myself out of bed in the morning, Josh was sleeping with his head on the other end of his bed.  Why didn’t we think of this before?  I actually did, but the camper is parked at a slight incline, which isn’t really too noticeable until you sleep with your head pointing away from the driver’s seat.  I slept like that one night, and I literally felt like I was sleeping upside down.  Very strange.  That was also the night I dreamed the little dude fell out of bed, and I had to catch him and woke up holding the baby by one of her legs! 

Sleeping, turns out to be its own adventure around here!  

4 comments:

  1. I feel guilty about it, because it sounds awful, but this one made me llol too. Just the way you worded it, and then the part about waking up holding the baby by one leg. Adventures indeed. I am AMAZED that the thrower-upper doesn't remember it. Throwing up is always so traumatic. I am echoing your praises that none of the vomit ended up on your heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel guilty! It was funny! I could have done with out the smell though!

      Delete
  2. You have a way of looking at life that really tickles me. I love that you can almost always see the bright side. What a wonderful bunch of memories you and your chillun's will have from this adventure. And to think that God is right smack dab in the middle of it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Kathy! :) the bright side is more fun! And it keeps me in a better mood. Love ya!

      Delete